Monday 25 May 2009

Which is the best translation for a pew Bible?

I've heard that there is a bit of buzz going around regarding the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I've read a bit of it, and for a literal translation it seems pretty good to me. Certainly better than the ESV.
 
I'm not sure it's the best translation to have in church pews though.
 
It seems to me that the New Living Translation, my favorite translation (though for many years I used to make fun of the name - "What, are all the other translations dead??") is one of the best to read when you're reading long portions of the text. The strength of the NLT is that it makes at least the main meaning of each passage clearer than the literal translations do. The down side of that is that it does cloud a few of the ambiguities or nuances which are present in the original, but when you're a new Christian, or a seeker, you want to know what is the main point. What is the big story. And the NLT shows that most clearly I think. (See here for my thinking about the pros and cons of different Bible versions)
 
When thinking about pew bibles, don't we want to be thinking evangelistically? Let's face it, the keen Christians can bring their own bibles to church if they like another version better (as I do). But the person who is unfamiliar with church, and unfamiliar with the grand narrative in the bible, who is very unlikely to bring their own bible, needs to have a bible which is in as natural English as possible, in which they can grasp the big picture meaning easier.
 
When it comes to bible translation, for personal devotions, I think the more natural language, the better. I love using the NLT because it speaks to my heart, and is encouraing, in a way that more literal translations are not.
 
Does anyone out there use the NLT in their church? I think we should use it more.
 

2 comments:

Alistair Bain said...

I reckon if I were starting a church plant I'd use the TNIV. It's use of non-gender specific language gets over a lot of problems. But it's still close enough to the NIV to be familiar to those of us who have been brought up that way.

Donna said...

I also like the TNIV - I think the way they handle non-gender specific language is very natural (to the way I speak).

But I'm a dedicated fan of the NLT. I think it's language, especially in OT prophecy, and NT epistles is much more intelligible.

If you're starting a church plant, and aiming for non-believers to join, shouldn't you choose the best translation for non-believers? Which means that "familiarity" wouldn't really be a priority?