Thursday 19 February 2009

An Australian in India - Culture Shock resolution

How could I be angry with the person who wakes me up at six,
When all they're doing is pumping water to bathe in.
 
How could I be angry about the smoke pouring into my living room,
When the person is just cooking their lunch by the only means they can.
 
How could I be angry with all of the noise of loudspeakers all over the town,
When I know that most people aren't able to read advertisements.
 
How could I be angry with the salesmen knocking on my door,
When I know that many women are not able to leave their house.
 
How could I be angry with the slow and eratic traffic,
When people are just getting around on the only thing available to them
 
How could I be angry with children who cross the road in front of my car,
When I know they were never taught how to cross safely.
 
How could I be angry with people living,
When they're just surviving the only way they can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this, Donna. Really inciteful, and it's like a poem!

Anonymous said...

I love this, Donna. Really insightful, and it's like a poem!